Blog 8: Alpha Lambda Delta Induction

On February 20th, I attended the Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society induction for new members. This event honored the freshman that had been accepted, and accepted their acceptance into ALD this year.

When I walked into the event, I saw that it was set up as a formal, buffet-style dinner. The ceremony started with Stockapella singing the National Anthem, which was beautiful. Then some of the officers of ALD spoke about the program. Dr. Rosner also spoke, explaining how Stockton’s chapter of ALD came to be what it is today. The program is rather young at Stockton, but the students who make up ALD have been working hard and are rapidly increasing the reach of ALD activities.

After the opening remarks, the induction began. For the ceremony, the officer speaking would read the names of new members. Whenever a new member’s name was said, they would stand up and turn on an electric candle. I am happy that we used electric candles rather than real ones. I have been to plenty of ceremonies where real candles are used, and I do not feel safe with hundreds of people holding lit candles. Especially not if any of those people are as clumsy as me. After the induction, the Provost spoke as this year’s honorary ALD member. Then to end the ceremony, Stockapella sang Stockton’s Alma Mater.

After the ceremony, dinner was served. Once again, Chartwells did a great job with the food for an event. I still do not understand why we can have good tasting food at events, but N-Wing food continues to be full of disappointment. My favorite thing was the chicken tenders, and I really do not think that it is too much to ask that those chicken tenders be served in N-Wing.

Anyway, the food was great and I had fun talking to the people at my table. At the end of the event, I received my member certificate and pin. I am excited to be a part of this great organization.