The Animal Shelter

On September 27, I volunteered at the Atlantic County Animal Shelter in Pleasantville. This was an honors service activity that takes place once a semester, which means I can continue with this activity. For this project, a small group of honors students traveled to the animal shelter to help with whatever was needed for about four to five hours. During this time, I, with my two friends Victoria and Drew, swept, vacuumed, and mopped the floor. We also took out the trash and put in new trash bags. Other students cleaned the cages for the cats or helped with the sick cats. Although we were there for about four hours, my part in volunteering only took about one hour. With the rest of our time there, Drew, Victoria, and I helped for a little with the sick cats. After this, we played with the cats and then the dogs.
I can honestly say that playing with the cats and dogs was the best part. However, the overall experience was a very good one. My part in volunteering was very efficient and a necessary cog in the overall operation. I know the workers there were grateful for what we did and would welcome us back in a heartbeat. It was also enjoyable cleaning up, because I had my friends Drew and Victoria with me. Also, during this time, I meet one of the parrots that would consistently say, “Hello.” After this, the cuteness factor increased though. Drew, Victoria, and I went to help with the sick kittens which mostly just sneezed but acted normally other than that. We got to hold the kittens and play with them which was one of best parts of the day. Once the kittens were taken care of, and everyone finished their jobs, we were allowed to play with the dogs. Playing with the dogs was a great reward for a few hours of work. We were allowed to take a few out, and these dogs were very energetic and ready to play. It was a great ending to the day. This total experience was one of the most enjoyable service projects I have done. I would definitely recommend it to other students, and there is a high possibility that I will go again myself.