Blog 5: November 18th Annual Scholarship Recognition Dinner

On November 18th I attended the annual Scholarship Recognition Dinner. For this event, we were told to “wear appropriate business attire”. As I got ready for this event, I realized that I need to add this type of clothing to my closet. I have very few options for business attire and most of the options that I do have are dresses. It was very cold on the day of the event, so a dress was not the preferable choice. Five minutes before I had to leave, I able to put together an appropriate outfit that included pants.
When I got to the campus center event room, I was given a nametag that also had the name f my scholarship on it. I walked in and found my table. Everything looked very nice. There were beautiful centerpieces on the table and the napkins were folded the way that they would be at a fancy restaurant. Salads and bread were already out on the tables, but nobody was sure of the proper time to begin eating.
While we waited for the event to begin, everyone at my table tried to figure out if there was logic behind the seating arrangement. Based on my table it was not alphabetical order, scholarship type, or major. We never figured out if there was a pattern, though. When the conversation died down we decided to start eating the food that was in front of us even though we still were not sure if it was okay. Soon after that, someone came to our table and told us we could start eating.
The event began with some remarks from Provost Kesselman and President ____. After that, dinner was served. Chartwell’s really came through with dinner. Everything tasted great, especially the chicken. There was a sauce on the chicken that was absolutely delicious. I don’t understand why they can’t make N-Wing food taste like that.
After dinner, one staff member from every school introduced one student from the school. Each student talked about how scholarships have helped them to succeed. Many students mentioned that without the scholarships, they would not have been able to afford their higher education. As they talked, dessert was passed out. There were small portions of cake and pie and they were delicious.
Overall, I was happy to have attended the scholarship dinner. It is important that donors see the faces of the students they are helping. I was happy to be there as a show of my gratefulness for my own scholarship. Also, dinner was free and delicious.