Stockton’s First Annual Glow Walk

Delta Zeta sorority and Alpha Chi Rho fraternity held their first annual Glow Walk event on September 23, 2014. The Glow Walk was an optional walk or run around the Stockton track field during the evening, to help raise money for their philanthropy. To participate, a minimum of a five-dollar donation was required. After ever lap completed, participants received a glow stick; the more you walked or ran the more glow sticks you collected. The fraternity and sorority that held this event had snacks, music and a very fun atmosphere. Together, the fraternity and sorority raised over $2,000 for the NJ Hearing Aid Project and The American Cancer Society.

Many of my family members have passed away from cancer, so when I heard about the event, I was thrilled to be a part of it. I invited many of my friends from my residential hall to participate along with me, and they were also very excited. While walking around the track and listening to upbeat music, my friends and I shared many laughs and fun memories of the night. Collecting the glow sticks was a fun idea to encourage participants to continue walking. Since the event was held at night, the track was completely lit up with neon colors, making it a fantastic sight to see. My friends and I collected as many glow sticks as we could and made them into bracelets, necklaces, and headbands, which also encouraged us to continue walking. Time flew by as we were having fun and at the end of the event, which lasted several hours, my friends and I collected over fifty glow sticks.

Overall, I had a great time donating my time, money and support to Delta Zeta and Alpha Chi Rho’s philanthropy of the NJ Hearing Aid Project and the American Cancer Society. The event had a fun filled atmosphere and a great turn out. I look forward to attending the event next year and hope to see the sorority and fraternity raise even more money than this year.