Day of Service

On September 6, 2014 I participated in Stockton’s campus-wide Day of Service.  This event is held by Stockton to show students that it is crucial to give back to their community.  The Day of Service consisted of service projects available for students to involve themselves both on and off campus.  In my case, I participated in Books without Borders.  This activity included unloading, sorting, and boxing up books to be sent to different locations.  These books that we were sending out included textbooks, children’s books, novels, and educational text.  Through Books without Borders we are able to help communities educate their students of all ages and grade levels through new and used books.

Through being a part of service projects, students are able to make new friends, connect with faculty and staff that are running the events, and find a service project that could be of interest to them throughout their academic career at Stockton.  Stockton gives this opportunity twice a year, once during the first semester, and another the second semester.  The next Day of Service will occur on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday January 19, 2015.  These are annual events held by Stockton that call out to ALL students, freshman through senior, graduate students, and faculty.

I enjoyed the Day of Service and feel that it is a great way for students to become more involved and aware of the surrounding communities.  As an honors student I feel as though it is a wonderful way to fulfil our service learning requirements.  It enables us to make a difference in our communities.  Even if it does not make a large impact, we are still able to give back to our community through service.  The groups that participate in the Day of Service are helping us to become involved members of the communities surrounding Richard Stockton.  I look forward to the next day of Service and once again hope to work with Books without Borders.