Suicide Prevention Week

The week of the semester that was dedicated to suicide prevention, was an interesting week. I enjoyed the speeches about suicide prevention and the events that were held for the cause. It was nice to see people speak up for what they believe in and have their voice be heard. One event that I really enjoyed was about suicide prevention where I listened to Jordan Burnhan from Active Minds, who spoke about his experience with suicide.

Before the event began, I thought that this man was going to talk about the general facts for suicide and spread the word about stopping this terrible act, but it was not like that at all. Jordan Burnhan was extremely sincere and he opened up to us about his past. He talked about his lifestyle and how he grew up as a child, and how that affected him emotionally and mentally. The terrible things that happened to him as a child, caused him to want to commit suicide, but luckily it was a failed attempt and he did not actually succeed at this terrible act.

During his speech, I looked around the room, and I noticed, by the look on my peers faces, that they were touched by this inspirational speech, as was I. Jordan Burnhan did an incredible job getting his point across because he made his speech enjoyable, which caused people to laugh and smile, but took him seriously when necessary.

The speech that Jordan Burnhan presented to his audience was a speech I will never forget. Jordan Burnham touched the lives of many that night and I hope to someday touch the lives as many as well.