Stockton Shining Bright

My friends and I just recently had the pleasure in participating in the Stockton Glow Walk and 5K on the evening of September 23, 2014. The purpose of the event was to try to draw out as many members of Stockton’s student body as possible to come out and walk or run for a good cause. Members of the Delta Zeta sorority and Alpha Chi Rho fraternity were responsible for coordinating the event and all of the proceeds went to The New Jersey Hearing Aid Campaign and the American Cancer Society.

The event began at 8pm at Big Blue, and by the time we arrived the place was already packed with hundreds of people. Despite the fact that the sun had already set and it was completely dark out, Big Blue’s track was completely lit up thanks to the hundreds of glow sticks decorated around it. After paying the $5.00 participation fee we were immediately each given a glow stick accessory and told that we would receive an additional accessory for each lap we completed. We ended up jogging/walking 8 laps around the track by the end of the night and received an additional 8 glow stick accessories to show for it.

It seemed like everyone I saw and spoke to was having a great time while I was there. Some groups of friends were trying to compete against one another to see who could get the most glow sticks by the end of the night while others simply just enjoyed being out there and getting the opportunity to meet other members of the Stockton community.  For this being the first ever Glow Walk and 5K, I would say that the event was a major success. Delta Zeta and Alpha Chi Rho should be really happy with themselves for doing such a good job planning and coordinating such a successful event and I really hope that they plan to do it again in the near future!