Get Involved Fair

One event that I have been waiting for since the summer was the Get Involved Fair. I was on a mission to try out as many clubs as possible because I really wanted to be as involved as possible. Since I am an incoming college student I’ve heard many people talk about the importance of getting involved and how it makes the college experience. A week before the fair one of my friends had a pamphlet about the different clubs which especially got me interested. I looked at the list and found that Stockton has a lot of clubs to offer, and just by looking at the names of the clubs I knew I was interested in at least twenty.

The morning of the fair I wasn’t sure when I would be able to walk around and see all the clubs I wanted. I had a class in the morning, then I had to do my daily track workout, and I had an evening class. I wasn’t going to attend class due to having a meeting for track, so I still did not have much free time that day. I thought I would have to go after the meeting but that really wouldn’t have left much time to visit all the clubs if they were even still there. Some did pack up throughout the day. Thankfully my roommate wanted to go, and I got my workout done early so I got to go in the middle of the day, so we went on to adventure at The Get Involved Fair!

My roommate and I started from the very beginning. Every table had nice decorations to relate to their club and many of the tables had free stuff. Some of the people sitting at the tables did not seem interested at being there at all, while others smiled and waved and would call me over if they heard me ask a question about their club. It was nice, no matter what table I walked to I was greeted with a smile even if the person was just sitting in boredom a few seconds ago. All the tables I approached were very good at explaining their club and I ended up signing up for a lot more clubs than I planned to.

We made our way through the fair and began looking at the same clubs. We walked through for 10 minutes and couldn’t really find all the clubs we were looking for at first so we stuck together just talking and walking. As we got to the main part of the fair I started seeing more and more clubs I was interested in. It got to the point where my roommate walked on without me since I was stopping at almost every table. I was really excited to get to the EDIBL club since I remembered it being about bugs. When I got to the table I learned that it wasn’t a club about just bugs, it was a club about eating bugs. At that moment I also realized how clever the name was. EDIBL. I felt silly but I was super excited to learn about eating bugs.

I continued to make my way around the giant circle of clubs. I was finding most of the clubs I was interested in but I was really looking for the Geology and Art Club, they were nowhere in sight though. As I was talking to all these people about their clubs I realized that I couldn’t make a lot of the meetings. So many clubs had meetings around the same time and same day. That was kind of disappointing, especially since I had evening classes on Tuesday and Thursday. Still I was determined to try and be a part of all these clubs. I finally started to make my way down to the end of the fair where I finally found the Art Club. I was impressed with their setup since art was being displayed. After that I saw the Math Club, it caught my eye because the poster mentioned the possibility of being a Wu Warrior. I had Dr. Wu as a professor over the summer and he was great. Who wouldn’t want to be a Wu Warrior? I definitely wanted to join that club. That was the last club table I got to, and then I walked into the track meeting since it was right in that hallway.

Overall I really enjoyed the Get Involved Fair. I would like to think it has helped me get involved a lot, and even though I’m going to have trouble making it to most of the meetings. I signed up for 21 clubs, but I was disappointed that I didn’t see the Geology Club even though I went both days for the fair. The friendly faces and free candy was a very nice touch. If I had any complaints it would be about the lack of organization, or how sometimes I couldn’t see the signs for some of the clubs. The Get Involved Fair was a very useful event for students and I enjoyed it.