Send Silence Sailing

As a disclosure, I would like to point out that the event I plan to write about in this blog has not yet happened. However, the preparation that the event entails is a true testament to how much is involved in putting an event together. As secretary of Active Minds Club, I have learned what the club stands for and what it takes to spread its message to other students. On October 22nd, the club is hosting an event to raise awareness on suicide rate among students in college. An average of 1,100 college students commit suicide every year. To spread the word on campus, the club is making 1,100 origami sailboats and hanging them in the trees to “Send Silence Sailing.” Students struggling with mental disorders such as depression and anxiety sometimes do not get the help they need, and it is imperative to break that cycle. Even making the slightest impact in the thoughts of students will make a difference and satisfy the goals of the club.

Through holding an officer position in the club, I have learned a variety of important skills such as leadership, communication, initiative and teamwork. My friend Nicole and I had arranged for all the girls on our dorm floor to help with folding the sailboats, a demonstration of initiative and teamwork. In pursuit of making this event successful, brainstorming with the president and the club has given insight as what to do for food and entertainment. Catering was established for the food and music will be played during the event. Competitions for prizes on the day of the event will be used to peak interest and encourage participation. As a way to make a difference aside from raising awareness, forms to detect mental disorders will be given at the table. After all the ideas voiced, emails sent and boats folded, Active Minds is fully prepared for the event on Tuesday.