Get Involved Fair

Wow. That’s all I can say. I feel like I have been transported back to my own freshman orientation from high school when I was taking part in the Get Involved Fair on September 17th and 18th. I remember being led around and being put in the gym to sign up for clubs and sports that would ultimately determine what I would be putting on my college resume. How frightening! Part of my college application is decided right there in the gym with other freshmen milling about and talking to all their friends. But this experience was different. There was no pressure to write my name down at various clubs, and there were no tempts of candy and false promises to have me write my name down. Not only did it not pressure me, there were many options for me to choose from. I walked passed a theatre club, equestrian club, fencing club, a quidditch club, and many more. Table after table had a different option that would appeal to many people. I was excited to see such a variety of activities; there really was much more offered than what I had expected to see. The Get Involved Fair here at Stockton is something special. It allows each student, residential or commuter, to be a part of something that he or she wants to be a part of in college. Joining clubs and activities can be a vital part of meeting new people in college, outside of classes, but it still allows students to have the power to choose what they want to do. Students can join one club, two clubs, three, four, or even none, and that is perfectly okay. When I walked past all the tables, I didn’t feel the pressure I felt four years ago, I felt free and in control of what I wanted to do. The Get Involved Fair is a great showcase of what Stockton has to offer in an abundance of clubs and activities. To anyone who feels lost, or is not really meeting people, I recommend attending the Get Involved Fair because it has so much to offer to all people, and I’m sure anyone can find a club that they will fit right into. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must go poke someone with a flexible metal and pointy object. En garde!