Day of Service!

On Saturday, September 7th, Stockton hosted its annual Day of Service. I have done a lot of community service in the past, and I was excited for a day specifically dedicated to helping others! One of my friends and I arrived at the event room in the campus center, and it was extremely packed with other students. There were so many people that were volunteering to help out!

My friend and I walked up to one of the tables that were not filled and signed up for helping out at the art show at the boardwalk. The event was called “Do Art,” and we were tasked with handing out ballots to the customers so they could choose who their favorite artists were. However, handing out ballots proved more difficult than we thought. Most of the people we talked to did not want to take the ballots, so we only ended up giving out a few.

Though we were not able to do much with our original job, we were able to help out in other ways. At one point there was a wind that knocked down some of the art pieces at one of the artist’s stands, so my friend and I helped set the masterpieces back up. We also brought more ballots up to one of the artist’s stands, who had run out of them.

After helping out at the art show, we held a short reflection session and boarded the buses to head back to Stockton. Volunteering at the boardwalk was not only beneficial to the artists, but it was also a lot of fun! We saw so many different pieces of art, including paintings, sculptures, and even body paint! It felt good to be giving back to the community of artists. It was a great volunteering experience, and I’ll be sure to attend the next Day of Service in October!