MSA Lecture!

I’ve come to realize that one of my favorite parts of Stockton is the opportunity to see different lectures. A year ago, I was sitting in a high school classroom with too many people and barely any leg room, and I would have scoffed and cringed at the news of a voluntary lecture. So much has changed in the last year, and I am forever grateful that it has! I’ve grown up in many ways, and I think it shows when I look forward to going to a different lecture every saturday in my free time, pen and notebook in hand. The lectures that I attend on saturdays are mostly on becoming a better person, and even a better muslim. These lectures are in Egg Harbor City at a community center that is quickly becoming an expected destination for me when I leave the house.

The lecture that I attended on April, 2, 2013, was similar in topic but completely different in location. Sheikh Jawad Rasul is a new member of the muslim community, but his family is one I’ve begun to know very well in between Saturday lectures and Sunday school teaching. As a sheikh, his lecture topics are based on Islam, however, the lectures are broad in the sense that they would teach anyone of any faith, how to live their lives in a more positive way. This particular topic was the teachings and habits of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad. These teachings however are not solely for the islamic faith, but are on manners and social conduct that everyone should follow.

I think that it is important to keep yourself grounded, especially when everything around you seems to be changing. I’ve found over the last year that my religion is the perfect outlet for me, but that doesn’t mean it is for everyone else. It’s also important to accept differences between yourself and others, you can’t force people to see things the way you do, but you can respect their opinions the way you want them to respect yours. Keeping an open mind is also important, as it teaches you things that you would have missed out on otherwise.