Getting involved-SET team

SET team. Well, I am on the SET team here at Stockton and I absolutely love it! This past year I was just a general member, but I still got to help out with some of the events, got to attend any one I wanted, and had a lot of fun. Some of the events I helped out with were the homecoming float, the haunted walk, and planning for La La No Booza. For the homecoming parade each year a bunch of clubs decorate a golf cart with a specific theme. This year our theme was paradise. As a part of the special events committee which oversaw anything that happened during homecoming. When we were presented a theme everyone in our committee began brainstorming ideas of what we could put on this float and I designed the actual float. I drew up a diagram and it ended up being enacted! After this I became more confident and started helping out more often. The haunted walk was around Halloween before the hurricane when people would walk down dark path while others were trying to pop out and scare them while they were walking. Ultimately the group of walkers would end up at the Campus Center where there were different stations set up. Edible had a station and there was free food etc. My station was face painting. Since I had worked as a face painter previously, I volunteered to do it there as well and it was super fun. Anyone who came to my station walked away happy and I had a lot of fun seeing people’s reactions. This just goes to show you that even college kids can enjoy face painting. The rest of the semester was full of events that I have already written about and more including taco Tuesday, comedian Jay Black, Cupcake Wars etc. Next year, I am actually on the late night committee and will be in charge of anything happening from 8 to 10 at night. As a co-vice chair I am so excited to be getting more involved here at Stockton and I encourage anyone reading this to do the same. My passion turned out to be the SET team, but maybe yours is different. I suggest finding what you like on campus your first year and then pursuing a leadership role in that club. That way you get to do what you like and get to further your development as a leader and a student.