Finding Fitness Through Zumba

The Wellness Center is a truly enthusiastic department of our school that is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of Stockton’s many students and faculty members. Each week, the Wellness Center sponsors a variety of exercise and fitness classes in order to motivate students to become more active, and give each of us the tools to make smart decisions in order to combat the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen.” Students and faculty members have the opportunity to participate in free Boxercise, Yoga, Judo and Zumba classes on a twice-weekly basis, which encourages all of us to want to live healthier lives.  

For me personally, coming into college was a difficult transition. Aside from leaving me home, my family and a very close-knit group of friends, I now had to grow accustomed to making positive life choices that would be beneficial in the long run. At first, it was very easy to fall into the trap of college cuisine. Fast food options tasted far better than the healthy stuff, and a meal plan put virtually endless plates of food at my disposal.  I had always been a rather healthy eater at home, and I never truly recognized the benefits of consuming solely self-prepared, home-cooked meals. Thankfully, I was able to realize early on that I was not making the healthiest choices, and I began to clean up my diet and start regular exercise regimen.

I began taking Zumba classes through Stockton and the Wellness Center in the fall, and it never felt so good to move! The instructors of the class compose upbeat, energetic routines that truly get students on their feet and dancing. Soon Zumba became a part of my weekly routine, and my friends were coming along as well. I watched the class size continuously increase as more and more students came to the same realization that I had a few weeks prior, and soon the gym was full. I am so thankful to attend a school where these unique exercise options are available for students free of charge, and to live in an environment that encourages healthy choices on a daily basis. Choosing to attend Zumba classes at Stockton and actively participating in each routine was the first step for me in reclaiming the version of myself that I knew before college and the temptations of a meal plan.