Day of Service

When I signed up for the Day of Service, back sometime in the summer, I thought there was going to be a few people and a lot of work.  Back at my high school that’s how it always was, and it was usually one big project that we all did together for the school, to keep it clean and pretty.  I’ll admit I did not look too much into it after I signed up, thinking it would be the same thing as high school.  Boy was I surprised when my friends and I showed up for it early that Saturday morning!  There were so many people there, I couldn’t even find the sign in table at first, and we all had to push through to sign in.  It was insane, and it made me so happy to see so many people that came out to volunteer; I never before saw so many people for an event like this.

At first my roommate Kris and I were told we would be helping the Girl Scouts out with arts and crafts, along with at least 50 other people.  But when a man came up asking for people to help him off campus with A.H.E.A.R.T. and no one stood up, we both looked at each other and proceeded to walk over and offer our help.  In the end there were five of us to help him out, and that’s all he needed.  We went to an elementary school in Atlantic City to sort out baby clothes for teen moms and moms who just need some help.  There were four lunch tables full of clothes for guys, and four for girls.  Not to mention the tables that had baby toys, chairs, strollers, and diapers, so many diapers.

Even though there was so much stuff, be it pride or poor advertising, there were only about ten mothers who came in for things.  And even they did not want to take a lot of things, mostly saying how they want to save things for the other mothers.  We had to convince them to take more things for their children, reminding me that the kids will grow and the winter will come soon.  There were bags and bags of clothes left after the day, as if nobody came at all.  It made us sad, knowing that there were so many other people that could be helped, but either did not know about it or were just too proud to come in for the free help.  A.H.E.A.R.T. now has Stockton’s information so when they have other things such as the clothing drive they can have help from the students here.  We learned that they do so much for mothers in Atlantic City and without Day of Service, we would know nothing about them at all.  I cannot wait to help them out more, they are such a good cause that is sorely needed still—even if the politicians say the economy is getting better, not everyone is seeing that.

The Day of Service was so much fun and I can’t wait for the next one.  Until then I have joined Circle K so I can keep volunteering, and Kris is keeping in contact with A.H.E.A.R.T. to get the word out about them and get them more help.  I’m grateful Stockton has a day like this, and encourages us to stay involved; more schools should have it more often.  Some many people could use a helping hand, and there are countless people with a hand to give them.  That’s what the Day of Service is all about, and I’m so glad I could lend a small hand.