Kenny Ambrose
Professor Rodriguez
Life of the Mind
November 21, 2012
Doing Service Learning
In the third weekend of the month of November, I traveled home for the first time since starting college back in August. While I was back visiting, I got the opportunity to complete my second required volunteer activity for the service learning part of the honors program. On Sunday the eighteenth, I walked with the Montgomery County 4-H Seeing Eye Puppy Club, in which I am a member, in the Lansdale, Pennsylvania Mardi Gras parade. I arrived at our meeting place around noon and from there we were driven to a small side street to wait in line for the parade to begin. We waited around for about an hour till the parade progressed enough for us to begin walking. We then followed our predecessors off the side street and onto Main Street in Lansdale. For members who had puppy they were training, they walked in a group the middle of the street; but since the last dog my family raised was sent back for formal Seeing Eye training a few months ago, I was not able to walk with them. Instead, I walked on the side of the street with a basket of dog treats. My job was to hand out dog biscuits to people that had a dog with them as they were watching. Even though it was a little cold out, there was a decent amount of people watching the parade, compared to previous years, and I gave out a good number of dog biscuits. In all, the walk took about an hour to travel about twenty blocks with the parade. I like doing activities like this with the Seeing Eye Puppy Club and I will continue to participate in the parade with them.