Constitution Center: 10/27/12

In high school I participated in few extracurricular organizations, instead focusing a considerable amount of time on improving grades, on developing a solid network of friend, and on volunteering.  These activities were enjoyable, but there was a continuous yearning to become a more active participant in the school’s events. Unfortunately, I was crippled by a fear of commitment and change, and so my desire remained unfulfilled.

Armed with this recent failure and a determination for improvement, I vowed to enter college as a go- getter.  I do not regret this decision, for it is the main reason that I participated in the October trip to the Philadelphia Constitution Center. I was the first to sign up for the event, happily embracing the cliché of an overly enthusiastic freshman. I pride myself in this action, as it shows a determination and openness that was previously hidden. I was hoping for an interesting trip with an enjoyable group, but there was no way of knowing if this would be the case. Thankfully this initiative did not go unrewarded, for the day proved itself to be one of the best college experiences thus far.

The 8:30 bus was predictably quiet, full of tired eyes and blank gazes.  It was not long into the hour-long trip, however, that the coffee set in; conversation began, mainly focused on the museum and city we were heading towards.  Excitement built, climaxing as the building rolled into view.  We rushed off the bus, smiled impatiently for pictures, and headed to the first site.

We were ushered to a small dark room that was arranged in an interesting, movie theatre- type setup.  And, because it was so early in the day, the room was filled primarily with Stockton members.  The lights were soon dimmed, and a dramatic performance unfolded.  A combination of well timed flashes and an impressive commentary created an ambiance that is difficult to forget.  In 15 short minutes, the history of America was laid out in a way that was both educational and exciting.  The intriguing display left a craving for more, and so there was a pang of disappointment as the clapping began and the lights returned.  Thankfully, this feeling quickly vanished as we exited the room into the grand foyer.

The day became a blur of excitement and joy as we traversed the building, studying the interesting information and artifacts that were on display.  Pictures with Ben Franklin and Alexander Hamilton made for an interesting time, along with a crazed search for Richard Stockton (it turns out he signed the Constitution, not the Declaration).  This was followed by an expedition into the Prohibition Room, which features advertisements and statistics that supported both sides of the cause.  We became enveloped in the past, taking in the culture that helped shape our country.  Old cartoons were on display, and tutorials for 1930’s dances were available.  The conga revealed itself to be more difficult that first imagined, and it enveloped a large chunk of time.  Before we knew it the buses were outside and waiting, and we were herded away from Pennsylvania.

I am now thankful for the initiative that I displayed early on, for the trip proved itself to be a wonderful experience.  The people were fun and interesting, the program moved fluently, and the museum taught and engaged in a way that is impossible in regular classrooms.  It was clearly worth the early- morning bus trip, and I look forward to similar events in the future.