Koresh

When I arrived at the Performing Arts Center, I can honestly say that I had no idea what to expect from the Koresh dance group. I only chose to go to this show because my friend was going to it. What I did not expect was the explosion of culture that ensued. The Koresh dance company is a middle-eastern based dance group with a completely different style of dance than I have ever seen before. Instead of showing beauty, such as ballet dancers do, they showed strength and flexibility. At times their movements looked unnatural almost as if they were possessed. The sharp, staccato movements kept the audience guessing what was going to happen next. The movements were alien to me and I did not understand most of the beginning dances. Dancing, no matter what genre, however, was not meant to be understood, but to be enjoyed and experienced. A dance can tell a story of love, as in a few of the partner dances, a story of anger, as in the group dances with the ferocious music, or even a story of playfulness, as in the partner dance between the two girls. Once I let go and just watched not to understand, but to enjoy, I saw the beauty in the strength they were exhibiting.  There were lifts, legs kicked higher than eye level, isolations of body muscles that have taken years to perfect, and yet the group made it look simple. The dancers have incredible strength and control of their bodies, but yet are graceful when the choreography calls for it. They exhibited a range of different and ever more difficult steps in their choreography that opened the audience’s eyes to a new culture and a new style of dance. After seeing the different dance style, I was encouraged to be more open about new cultures. Experiencing the intensity and the passion from the range of different dancers, of all different races, made me realize that anyone can learn about and immerse themselves in a culture other than their own. I personally loved the show due to its oddity in my life. If I had known going in that the show was going to be middle-eastern style dancing, I probably would not have gone due to the fact that it was different, but now I am happy that I got to experience the dancer’s performance and learn from their example.