Blood Drive

On September 19th and 20th, 2012, Stockton College opened its doors to the Red Cross Foundation, who was in need of as much blood as the school was willing to offer. This event ended up being a resounding success, as they managed to collect an exciting amount of blood and plasma donations from both students and faculty.

I was not able to go to the actual blood drive, but I can proudly claim partial credit for the great turnout that occurred.  This claim is justified by my actions on September 13, 2012, from 2:15 to 5:10.  During this time, my only goals were to inform and convince, in relation to the blood drive.  I would wave people down, call over to them, or meet them in the hallway.  I soon discovered which quickly- blurted lines were the most persuasive, and used this information to its full potential. Even those who were unable to donate promised to tell others about our cause; many of them followed through.  Multiple students approached the table (a pleasant change!), already convinced by their friends. We soon had a steady stream of students at the sign up sheets, and the empty spots gradually turned into reservations.

It was truly gratifying to be working for such a noble cause. I knew that every passerby had the capability of being a lifesaver, and it was up to me to help them to their potential.  With the right explanation and a smile, it became a simple task. They could tell how strongly I felt about the Drive, and so they took it as a serious consideration.

This experience was not only beneficial for the Red Cross and the blood-recipients, but for me as well.  I learned to better understand people, and how to use this in a positive way.  This will surely be useful in Stockton and beyond, and I’ll forever be grateful for the knowledge opportunity.  Needless to say, this was not my last time tabling for volunteer purposes.