A Night to Remember

When you hear an event’s name is Tap Dogs, automatically one thinks it will involve tap dancing. At least that’s what I thought.  I was right, but however, I was also wrong.  Going to the show on September 22, I thought I was going to be watching a show similar to a ballet, except involving tap dancing.  Because I do not have a strong interest in theater or the arts, I initially believed that Tap Dogs would be a good show but boring nonetheless.  I could not have been more wrong.  This show was amazing, and if you were not able to attend, you really missed out on something extremely unique.

At the beginning, I felt as if I could do what the dancers were doing.  However, I soon realized how very wrong I was.  The only reason I had the slight inclination that maybe I could dance like them is because of the way the dancers were able to make it look so effortless.  As the show went on, I saw this degree of effortlessness continue as their performances got harder and harder as they incorporated more obstacles and variables in the way of their dancing.   One element incorporated into their performance was different kind of elevation changes.  They went from extreme to extremer.  Basketballs were also incorporated into the performance with each dancer being able to perform in sync with his fellow dancers and the basketballs.  Every time I thought one of their performances was the most amazing I had seen, they proved me wrong in the next performance that they did.  One of these was when four dancers were using some kind of power tool on a metal ladder, creating sparks that would fly into the center of the stage.  While they were doing this they were dancing, and the sparks were being created in sync with the dancer’s steps that was performing in center stage.  It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  However, my favorite event was when one of the dancers was put into a harness and flipped upside down to dance.  The fact that he was able to be upside down and dance the way he was blew my mind.

Along with having phenomenal performances throughout the show, the dancers were also extremely personable; you could get a feeling of each of their personalities even though no words were being spoken.  Some were very humorous, and some were more serious.  I really enjoyed this aspect and that they got the audience involved with what they were doing onstage.  For example, at one point, the audience was needed to snap its fingers to keep a rhythm for the dancers.

Overall, this show was great.  It kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time, which I was happily surprised about.  Not being a dancer myself, it made me realize a new appreciation for it by seeing the lengths you can go to during performances and how difficult it must be to perform.  I’m extremely happy that I went and would highly recommend it for anyone who gets the opportunity to go see Taps Dogs.  You’ll be glad that you did.