Blog 9: MLK Day of Service

On January 16 I attended the MLK Day of Service.  The event was similar to the Day of Service in the fall, except in the beginning they paid tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with art and speeches and songs.  Then we split off into our service projects.  I was with the Girl Scouts, which was interesting to me because I used to be a Girl Scout for many years.  In this group I made cute snowman rulers to give to day cares.  I also wrote and decorated many letters to give to the people currently serving our country abroad.  I didn’t want my cards to have the same generic stuff the soldiers see all the time, so I wrote some corny jokes in hopes of bringing a little humor into their lives and brightening their day.  This service project was nice because in a way I was helping three organizations.  I helped the day cares by making them the rulers.  I helped the soldiers by writing them letters.  And also in a way I helped the Girl Scouts because usually its just a group of little girls who does all that work.  Instead, I was able to help them make a bigger difference with their efforts.