Blog 5: Roberto Clemente

On October 14th we were lucky enough to listen to a speech given by one of Roberto Clemente’s close friends about his life.  I already knew some information about Roberto Clemente: he was a Puerto Rican baseball player that played for the Pittsburg Pirates as a right fielder.  But this presentation about him had me learn so much more.  He played professional baseball starting in 1952 and his jersey number is 21 because it is the letters in his name (Roberto Clemente Walker).  After he was a ball player he wanted to become a chiropractor because he had sleeping troubles and he wanted to make other people more comfortable to get better sleep.  He had a great sense of humor and was a very good person that was very active in charity work.  I learned he died in a plane crash on the way to Nicaragua.  He was on the plane to help deliver goods to the victims of an earthquake that devastated Nicaragua.  I also learned that Puerto Rico is a very impoverished commonwealth of America and 60% of the engineers in NASA are Puerto Rican.  We also had the honor of meeting Roberto Clemente’s son, who was kind enough to shake our hands and take pictures with us.