Blog #1: Stockton’s Day of Service

The first event that I attended was Stockton’s Day of Service on September 10th.  As an honors student, I was expected to show up and put in all my effort, but I wasn’t sure what exactly I was going to be asked to do.

When I showed up at the Campus Center to start the day, I was told I would help out with Books Without Borders. Eventually though, I volunteered to help with building a few nests for wild ospreys, as no one had signed up for that, and they needed volunteers. The overall project was made a little harder by the fact that I had a fractured finger, but I worked through it anyway.

Overall, the project was a lot of fun! The project’s leader divided us into groups to build three separate nests; one nest would be stacked on a tall post , and the other two would be attached to buildings. It was a fun experience to use power tools and measure out exact lengths for the wood. The work was definitely demanding, but we managed to put together three good-looking nests! After we put one of the nests on the post, everyone got to sign it and date it for memory’s sake.

The day as a whole was a lot of fun. It felt really good to know that the project I was working on would help keep an important species alive and thriving, as well as provide more of a chance for the species’ future. As a biology mature, I love helping out with environmental services, so building the nests seemed perfect for me. The Day of Service seemed like a lot of fun no matter what event people participated in, and I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of participating!