Preseason 2011

I had the privilege of moving into Stockton two weeks earlier than most other freshmen by attending Stockton’s preseason, or camp for cross country.  Preseason started on August 17th and ended on September 3rd.    It was the most exciting, nerve wracking, physically taxing, and rewarding two weeks I have ever experienced.  When I arrived on the first day, I was beyond nervous.  I ran track for thirteen years of my life and cross country for four years of my life, but felt like none of that would prepare me for what I was about to endure.

The first two days of preseason were spent learning about NCAA rules and regulations, health, nutrition, Stockton’s athletic program and all it does for student athletes.  We also underwent various tests and physicals to ensure we were healthy enough to compete for the fall season.  After all that was well and done, we were able to begin practices.  The cross country team practiced twice a day, Monday through Saturday.  We would start off our morning practices with a two lap warm up around the track then get right down to our form drills.  Then we would typically do speed work on the track, followed by a 4k through the woods to cool down.  Our practices in the afternoon consisted of long runs through the beautiful trails on Stockton’s campus and core work.

After our afternoon practice, the team would get  together for dinner and hang out for the rest of the night playing games, going bowling, and enjoying each other’s company.  The guys and girls teams are a close knit group, like a big family.  Our love for running forms a unique bond that makes us so close.  I instantly felt welcomed to the team and became a part of the family. As a freshman, I benefited from this experience because I learned the campus ahead of time so I felt more prepared when classes came around.  I also learned the importance of being disciplined as a student athlete, and how much fun it can be.  I would recommend anyone who likes to run or participate in any sport to try it out and become a Stockton Osprey.