Service Day

This year I had the honor of participating in the 8th Annual Stockton Service Day. This was a day set apart from the rest to devote our time and effort to bettering off our community. We use this day to experience all of the opportunities out there to volunteer. I was put on a shuttle and sent to the Atlantic Rescue Mission.  This organization takes care of those who have lost everything through gambling or an addiction. These people are put through a program to help then back to a better physical and mental state.

At first when we arrived to this facility I honestly was feeling a little bit nervous, I have never been to a “soup kitchen” before. All I knew was that the inhabitants had lost almost everything of theirs and were a bit rougher than the crowd I would normally associate myself with. But as time went on and I got to meet some of the people who worked there and were also a part of the program there I realized that we were the same, they just had made a mistake or two. What makes a person great is not the amount or severity of mistakes that they make, but is what they do when they do make a mistake. These people decided to get help and turn their lives around, they decided enough is enough and to step up their game. I admire their courage and determination; it takes a lot to do what they are doing.

I implore everyone to volunteer some of their time at this facility, they are just starting to bring in volunteers. They only have a few employees and are short handed a lot, I really felt for them as they explained how they sometimes have to shut down something like the giving out of food baskets because they need someone to go pick a sofa up. It encourages me to go out and do my part to help out not just my community but human kind as a whole. It’s our responsibility as the next generation to help one another out and better this place we call home.