A Light Reflection: Impact of Global Learning

Refer to Textbook for Fall 2019 Web Tools: Global Learning
 The Global Educator: 
Leveraging Technology for Collaborative Learning & Teaching 
 By Julie Lindsay 
Paper Back Edition 2016 International Society for Technology in Education Content
 The Impact of Global Learning 
Chapter 4 Pages 48-70  
I took a few quotes from The Global Educator to help me shape how I can become a better global learner and impact the world in a more positive way.

The Global Educator textbook has opened my eyes up to so many tools, networking accounts, and has defined what it means to be a global learner through the words and experiences of other educators. When I normally think of a textbook I often think of memorizing definitions. This textbook has a completely different approach. It simplifies definitions, recommends technological tools for ample uses, and gives credit to the many educators around the world. This personal feedback and insight on why and how current teachers are using the technology tools and online resources made learning from this textbook much more interesting and rewarding. I would like to make an impact as large as some of the ones mentioned inside of The Global Educator textbook. These opinions mentioned and relate-able case studies make it seem much more real.

How can I make an impact as a Global Learner?

The first quote I noticed on the very first page of chapter 4, ( page 48), I was a bit intimidated about after reading…

“I am expected to teach, to solve problems related to education and I am considered as exemplary in every aspect by my junior staffs and students as well as outsiders.”

Mulugeta Birhanu

Although his confidence was intimidating in the beginning, I could see how this could be used as something inspirational.  I am personally not as confident, (considering I am still in student mode and on my way to become an educator). I do believe that with guidance, direction, building my network, forming my global citizenship, and embracing the technology practices that others are sharing with me- I can become as confident as Mulugeta Birhanu when I think or talk about my impact as a global educator.

How can I impact global learning?

I would like to not be afraid to be seen, make mistakes, and never give up because I am always connected to the bigger picture and understanding the power of sharing ideas to create positive futures.

I paraphrased this quote from the ending of Katie Grubb’s statement at the top of page 49 in Chapter 4 of the Global Learner.

I believe this small section had the most personal connection to me. I thought that by paraphrasing her words of wisdom and repeating this to myself my confidence may start to boost up. I am nervous to make a mistake because of the heavy role educators have and become for their students. I learned that as a global learner, I can impact the way I professionally grow. I can do this beside my colleagues and with my students. Instead of a mistake being frowned upon, my instructor Kimberly Smith, from my Conference about Programming In The Elementary Classroom, shared a quote; this had a different view on making a mistake than what I had normally thought. She shared some of her thoughts and quotes she repeats to her students if or for when they make a mistake or even herself because we are all human.

“If you make a mistake that means you are on the verge of feeling, seeing, and sparking something amazing,”

Kimberly Smith

Rather than get upset or frustrated in front of the class shake it off and cope and handle the situation in a positive learning way so that the students can use those emotions, and thoughts when they make a mistake. I think this is a powerful thought process for students, teachers, or as human beings in the real world outside of school.

How Can I Become a Global Learner and Make an Impact?

I would like to become more aware of what is possible. I believe that the more aware and in tune with the tech concepts, resources, and tools will strengthen my class and myself as a global educator. I believe it is important to become a role model and help mentor or reach out to mentors and collectively support others in our network. When I come to the realization that learning can happen anytime and anywhere I will be closer to becoming a global learner and make more positive impacts. I would like to see my students implement and dive into the lessons with excitement. If I let them share and engage with each other or with others around the world with the help of technology their empathy for others and relationships with others may grow. I would like to become a change maker, for a better world. Students can grow with me and realize they are leaders too. The students can discover and create more if I am a global learner and educator. Then the domino effect will begin and they will become a leader and impact the future. Children will grow and become more aware of the many options they do have. These would be the reasons why I want to adapt to these technological advances and become a guide they can use to push forward in positive ways.

“And why would anyone want to go to war with their friends?”

One of Chris Betcher’s Student’s Thoughts from Australia shared on page 54 in the Global Educator

These relationships built inside the class, outside the class, and online all become a futuristic approach to unify and create a more empathetic interaction with one another. This is a beautiful concept, and this becomes a simple reference to why I would like to make an impact as a global educator.

My Impact As A Global Learner

I would strive to make assignments more creative. When I do this, the children will become more connected and work harder if they have an assignment that is more meaningful and authentic. I believe that with the “skydiving” approach like Kevin Nolton shared with us at the Technology Conference,(Integrating Technology K-8), we can allow for a student to jump with guidance from their teachers into many opportunities for their future. Once the student jumps, they can open the door to many more opportunities that may not have been visible or thought of before.

“My students begin to discover a world of opportunities. For many of these, school is their only hope.”

Julio from Venezuela said on Page 55 in the Global Educator

This is especially important to focus our attention on because our children need resources. A relationship with a teacher or role model to show them the way to many options for their future can be life-changing. I want to impact global learning as an educator and as a parent. My community, students, colleagues, and their families need to understand the importance of global technology and how it can connect all of us and build stronger relationships. This positive community engagement can challenge us and unify people all over the world. I want to make sure that when I impact my students and others, I am enabling a safe and responsible interaction when using technology. I would like to impact global learning from the heart. This will constantly change my perspective, my students’ perspectives, and my communities’ perspectives on becoming global learners. The positive impacts a global learner can have on the world is endless.The Global Educator Textbook and the amazing educators inside the textbook have shown me the importance of becoming a global learner.

If you click on the image above of the Global Educator Textbook it will take you to Amazon and show you the price of the textbook.
I decided to use Chegg- but there are so many other websites that provide amazing deals for this wonderful resource for educators.

About smithc88

Page with Comments

1. Hi Cori,
    You offer such great insight in all your posts and blogs. Without a doubt you’re heading in the right direction towards forming a global citizenship. We have great educators, all with a different shade of light. Yours is quite bright. I have no doubt that you’ll be an amazing global educator. Thanks for read!

1. I appreciate your feedback and positive message. I also enjoy your twitter posts and blog insights; both areas are great resources for future educators, past educators, and current educators. I look forward to more conversations and relationship building. I am lucky to be apart of a wonderful network of celebrating each others’ hard work and dedication to the next generations. THANKS!