Orchestra Concert

Lily Davis

Blog Post 3

Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert

On Friday, November 11, 2016 I went to go see the Bay-Atlantic Symphony’s “Veterans Day Salute” concert.  Originally, I went to the concert because I was required to for a class I was taking, but I ended up really enjoying it.  The concert was in the Performing Arts Center, and there were so many people there, they filled up practically all of the seats.  The Bay Atlantic Symphony, which is an orchestra that  anyone in South Jersey can join, comprises of violins, violas, cellos, bass, flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, french horns, trumpets, trombones, tuba, percussion, and the harp.

At this specific concert, the orchestra played a selection of songs that all have resonating themes of American spirit.  These songs include “Armed Forces: the Pride of America,” “1812 Overture,” and many selection of pieces  from Leroy  Anderson.  During the “Armed Forces: the Pride of America” piece, the orchestra would play each branch of the military’s song, and the people who served in that branch would stand up. It was such an amazing experience, to see just how many people have served in the military.  It was also very emotional, because there were just so many people who have sacrificed so much for our country.  

Personally, this was my second Bay-Atlantic Symphony concert that  I have gone to this year.  The first one was a very formal concert, which I enjoyed a great deal.  But this concert I appreciated so much more because it was such an emotional experience.  At the end of this concert, the orchestra played a surprise song.  It was the National Anthem.  Just after the first few notes, the entire Performing Arts Center was on its feet, singing along.  It was truly such a beautiful and emotional experience.