The first time I watched a Presidential Debate

Lily Davis

On September 26, I watched a Presidential debate at the school’s viewing party in the event room.  This was the first time I have ever watched a televised debate, so this was pretty interesting for me, and this is also my first time voting in a Presidential election.  This election is a pivotal one, and it feels like my entire future is resting on it.

It was really fascinating to me to be able to watch the debate in real time, and thinking that the candidates were actually discussing these topics in real time was very amusing to me.  What peeved me about the debate was the lack of actual answers to the given questions.  Personally, I think that the moderator asked fitting questions, but they were not targeted towards the younger crowd of voters.  For example, one topic was about the security of America, especially relating to the cyber protection and defense. While this is a very important issue, I feel that this was probably not the issue that most millennials care about.   Instead of discussing  who is behind  the country’s cyber attacks, they could have spent the time talking about how to make college more affordable, or discuss the changing healthcare system and what they would do what they would do if they became president.  

Another thing that I did not appreciate about the debate is that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton almost never really ever answered the questions that were provided.  When a question would be asked, the Presidential Candidates would dodge the actual point, and pretty much just blame the the other candidate for something they did many years ago.

I turned eighteen in April, and this is my first time voting for the President of the United States. This has been really a very interesting experience for me, because I feel like I actually will have a say in what will happen in this country. Even though I am one of two hundred million or so people that are able to vote, I believe that every person’s vote counts.  

After watching this debate, I am actually really excited to watch the next Presidential Debate, because I want to see how the next moderator deals with the constant interruptions, and hopefully  asks some different questions.  I cannot wait to cast my vote in November!