Get Involved Fair!

On what started out as a rather ordinary day, I was walking through a crowd towards my first class when out of the corner of my eye I saw something quite intriguing. At first I could not distinguish who or what it was, but imagine my surprise when a giant full-fledged (pun intended) bipedal Osprey came casually strutting past. This was no Mickey Mouse, but was still somewhat of a celebrity in his own right. This mascot, though a tiny bit creepy, represented the adventure that I knew I would be undertaking for the next four years, and I was only curious to see what the rest of the day had planned. Of course I had to stop to take a picture.

That morning, the Osprey was making a special appearance at the Get Involved Fair. This free event took place in the main hall encompassing the lower level of most of the academic buildings on September 16th and 17th, and could be viewed from 10am to 4pm. Over 100 student organizations set up tables, booths, and colorful displays, ranging from a high-tech gaming system to the traditional tri-fold board. Each station had engaging club members ready to answer any questions and provide signup sheets. Most groups had free “swag bags” to hand out, spreading club pride amongst the student body. All students were welcome to explore the many opportunities to get involved as they walked to and from classes, and were encouraged to find their own niche on campus (and I am happy to report I seem to have found mine).

For those who were unable to attend the event this semester, the Winter version will be held on January 27th and 28th. I highly encourage my fellow freshmen and upperclassmen who are interested in learning more about the great student-run organizations or Greek Life on campus to come spend a few minutes at the next event. Who knows— the one and only Osprey might make another appearance!

~Alex Meyers