Freshmen Blogging Project: Afternoon of Service

On October 18th, I did the Afternoon of Service. There were many different service projects that benefited different organizations. We made cards for soldiers and hospitalized children, made bears for children staying in the Ronald McDonald House, made wreaths for the Ronald McDonald House, made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the Atlantic City Rescue Mission, made dog toys for the animal shelter and colored pictures for soldiers and children who are ill.

Since there were so many stations, everyone went to the project they wanted to do and were able to switch whenever he or she wanted. For the three hours that I was there, I made teddy bears for the children in the Ronald McDonald House. This was one of the best service projects that I participated in. It felt amazing to know that we were not just helping one group of people but many organizations and people in need. But the best part was that at the end, the coordinator talked about who specifically we were helping and why we were helping them. She also informed us on what the non-profit organizations do and why it is a good idea to help that certain organization out. In all the service events I have been to, no one has ever told me what I was really there for and who my volunteering really helped.

In the end we made 138 dog toys for the animal shelter, 52 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, 40 coloring pages, 27 door hangers, 21 coloring books, 9 teddy bears, 3 cards, and 2 wreaths. Those numbers are amazing. Even though many people did not show up for the event, our small group of people got a lot done. I left feeling amazing that day!