Event Blog 2: Comedy Show

Being an honors student at Stockton can mean a lot of different things. Aside from being service driven and having a commitment to improve the world around us, we are encouraged to be active participants in our community. Being an active participant does not solely means being the ones to bring about change. Actively participating includes attending events and showing support. As a freshman, this continues to be one of the easiest and most fun ways to get involved and feel a sense of community.

Most recently on campus, I attended a comedy show. A small group of students from my honors class were looking for something fun to do and came to the conclusion that nothing could be better than a Friday night comedy show to end the week, and when we found out that admission was free, we were sold.

The comedy night took place on October 10th as a part of Heroic Homecoming Week. It started at 8:00pm and was held in the Sports Center. The event was sponsored by S.E.T (Stockton’s Entertainment Team).

The stand up night featured Nicole Byer and Kevin Barnett. I was most excited to see Nicole Byer perform because I knew of her. She is one of the comedians featured on MTV’s “Girl Code.” Although the material on the show can be inappropriate at times, it never fails to make me laugh.

Being at the event was enjoyable. There were a lot of students but I stayed close with a small group of friends. We sat together and laughed simultaneously at all the same jokes. It always seems as if jokes are funnier when you’re laughing at them with other people… Byer’s style was a slightly offensive. Her approach was straightforward and shameless, talking about sensitive and provocative topics. Some people were uncomfortable, but I thought it was still entertaining. Barnett’s style was a little more relaxed and laid back. He made jokes about himself and his friends; he even made some comments about the homecoming king and queen.

Overall, the Stand Up Comedy Night was a lot of fun. It was an easy way to get involved and a great way to start the weekend.