Freshman Convocation

On Thursday, September 25, renowned author of Orphan Train Christina Baker Kline came to visit us at the Performing Arts Center for the 2014 freshman convocation! This was perhaps one of the most unique opportunities I had been offered while at Stockton, so of course I was going to go to show support. After all, we had  just finished reading her novel Orphan Train in our class so it was only appropriate that we went and learned as much about the book as possible. When we first arrived to the theatre, it was quite empty…I think honors kids have a knack for showing up super early to events for some reason. Nevertheless, we got the best seats in the house, and we were all super excited for the presentation. After discussing the novel meticulously in seminar, it would be interesting to get the authors opinion of her work for a change. Time passed and the room quickly filled…almost every seat was occupied, full house! And then the guest of honor appeared, and the room quickly fell silent, as she began by putting the audience in her character’s shoes. She made it a comfortable environment for learning about the research and history behind her book, and certain ideas which lead to key instances in the book. After her presentation, she offered a question and answer session to which she answered many outstanding questions, and kept things lively among the audience. After that even, she was gracious enough to hold a book signing event, but the line was too long and I had class so I up and left. I wasn’t the only one who couldn’t stay the entire time though. I saw many people get up and walk out right in the middle of her presentation, which I thought to be quite rude if I do say so. I can understand that people have classes and such but still…if someone makes the time to come out and talk to you, the least you can do is be respectful and listen attentively.