Project Linus

On Tuesday October 7th at 6:00, I attended Project Linus. A small group of students met in an event room in the campus center. This was my first time participating, but this project is a weekly event. The organizer of Project Linus, an upperclassman named Lauren, puts this event together for Circle K. Lauren’s friend McKenzie explained the instructions to me for the project we were expected to complete: bears. We were making stuffed teddy bears for sick children. Aside from the bears, Project Linus also makes blankets and pillowcases for the children. This event was for a good cause, and it was fun.

As per McKenzie’s instructions, I started out with two pieces of fabric. Someone else already cut them into bear shapes, so I was able to skip the first step. I pinned the two pieces of pink floral fabric together, with the insides facing out. I then threaded a needle and sewed the fabric together with small stitches along the perimeter. After I sewed most of the way around, I flipped the fabric so that the pattern would now be on the outside and stuffed the inside with soft cotton. I finished it off with a few more stitches to close the stuffing hole and it was done.

It only took an hour of my time to make a difference in the life of a sick child. That small, pink bear will probably make someone very happy, and it did not take that much effort to complete. Making a difference does not require a significant amount of time or energy. Small acts of kindness have just as much of an impact.