Here’s the Dirt…

As I stepped off the bus, I could smell the crisp, refreshing breeze that carried the scent of fertilizer and fresh produce from the garden not far down the path. We followed it under an archway of tree branches that couldn’t have been more inviting if it had said, “Welcome to our little piece of Eden.”

Rounding the corner, we caught sight of the Stockton Farm, an area composed of small, fenced-in rows of multicolored fruits and vegetables. A plaster owl was perched on one of the fence posts, guarding the premises and keeping unwanted intruders at a safe distance. We were greeted at the gates by two of the student volunteers, who welcomed us and told us of some of the practices on the farm, which is completely organic. They don’t treat the plants, and they use more natural pesticides: some chemical, some physical. Regardless, they told us of one pest that they just couldn’t seem to beat: a notorious groundhog that frequents the farm, slipping past the plants’ defenses and taking them one by one.

They took us inside the gate and we got a good view of the produce up close. The leaves of the root vegetables were visible above the mulch, and many of the peppers had ripened into brilliant reds and yellows. They took us around back to show us their Cajun peppers. On the way, we saw striped eggplants, kale, and tomatoes. What I found really cool, though, were the bees. Toward the back, closer to the tree line, was a beehive that kept hundreds of bees. It was pretty awesome to learn about all the ways beeswax can be harvested and used, such as for chapstick, candles, and even food! Unfortunately, we didn’t get the chance to see them; the weather was too cold, and we were quickly running out of time.

Last, they told us about how their entire irrigation system was student built. As they put it, “some of them had never even picked up a hammer.” Well, I never would have guessed. The system was powered by a single solar panel that activated a pump. The pump drove the water into a raised container, and gravity handled the rest. Water was distributed to all the crops throughout the farm in an efficient, natural manner. Also, did I mention it was all rainwater? I was truly impressed by the way the farm ran, and that the students built it all. I hope for the chance to go back and volunteer myself.