Afternoon of Service

On October 18, 2014 there was an event held by the Honors Program called Honors Afternoon of Service. I did not get a chance to make it to the honors orientation weekend in June because I was over seas. This afternoon of service was the perfect opportunity to not only make arts and crafts for different organizations but also to speak with other honors members who are older and more experienced with the Stockton community. It is a challenge as a new freshman to organize a busy schedule of homework, volunteering, classes, friends, and meal times. The other honors students made me feel comfortable when I said I am struggling with everything. Many of them are part of many other organizations and clubs on campus that their schedules are much more intimidating than mine. If these other kids can conquer everything on their plates, then so can I. It was the reassurance that I needed to hear after my first hard month at college.

The main purpose of the Afternoon of Service was the chance to help make teddy bears, children’s coloring books, dog toys, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the Animal Shelter, Ronald McDonald House, and the Atlantic City Rescue Mission. At Table 1 I made dog toys from old t-shirts by cutting the shirts into long strips then braiding three together. This inexpensive task of recycling worn out t-shirts gives underprivileged animals at the Animal Shelter a toy to either help new teeth grow in for young animals or give a sense of ownership to older animals. At Table 2 I made children’s coloring books by tying together pages with drawings of superheroes and dinosaurs. The books will be brought to children in the Ronald McDonald home and kids will get the opportunity to bring the pages to life with their own imaginations. At Table 2 I also colored in papers for the Color-A-Smile Organization that hands out these colored drawings to senior citizens, soldiers over seas, patients in the hospital, and someone in need of a smile. The Afternoon of Service introduced me to many projects that happen daily that take minimal amount of money or time but effects people in a big way.