Day of Service

On September 6, 2014, I attended the eleventh annual Day of Service. As I walked into the Campus Center Event Room, there was a sea of tables set up offering all different service projects. After I looked at all of the service options, I decided I wanted to be part of the group that was going to help at The Shores of Wesley Manor, which is an assisted living community in Ocean City, New Jersey.

When the group first arrived at The Shores of Wesley Manor, a staff member escorted us upstairs to a large meeting room. The group stuffed goodie-bags with bubbles, a cup, a mirror, hand sanitizers, and a wristband. It was nice to know that I was able to help the staff prepare for the huge event that they were going to host the following day, but I really wanted to interact with the residents.

After the group finished stuffing the goodie-bags, a staff member asked if we wanted to help the residents bowl. Everyone in the group was excited and agreed to assist the residents bowl. Bowling involved a group member moving a resident’s wheelchair over to a ramp and helping them push the ball down the ramp to knock down the pins. I could tell that the six residents that participated in the bowling activity were immensely enjoying themselves by the smiles on their faces. Just seeing the residents happily clap when they bowled a strike was so rewarding.

After the day at The Shores of Wesley Manor, I felt awesome because I knew that just by spending some time with the residents I had helped to put smiles on their faces and make their day special.