Freshman Blog 1: Recruitment

On Tuesday September 16, my roommate and I went to go check out the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma. Every fall and spring, the sorority sets out to recruit new members. They held a meeting in the academic building to give students a chance to learn more about them. When we first arrived, some of the sorority sisters were out in the hall greeting everyone who showed up. They wanted to give us a chance to meet each other, so we got in a circle and participated in some ice breakers. When it was time for the recruitment meeting to start, we signed in and were given a ticket with a sorority member’s name on it. It was our job to find that sorority sister and introduce ourselves. Once we found that member, we were free to mingle and get to know everyone. About halfway through we were shown a presentation to learn more about Tri Sigma. We learned about their philanthropy and what it means to them. The Sigma Sigma Sigma foundation helps children cope with their illnesses through therapeutic play, which allows the opportunity for play to occur in the hospital setting. The foundation helps to fund children’s therapy programs through the Robbie Page Memorial Fund. After the presentation, we mingled some more until it was time to leave.

Overall, it was a useful night that provided me with a lot of practical information about Tri Sigma. The meeting definitely changed the way I view sororities, and now I am even considering going back to another recruitment in the spring.  Before this meeting, I never knew what sororities actually did. I like that Tri Sigma helps chronically ill children cope with their illness. Tri Sigma shows that being in a sorority isn’t about socializing and going to parties, but instead it is about giving back and helping others.