Donate for a Cause

On September 18, 2014, I volunteered at the Red Cross Blood Drive located in the Sports Center. It was a two day event, starting on September 17, but continued to the 18th. Students, Faculty, and any other individual that wanted to donate for a great cause came in and signed in. If they were approved, the individual would move to a blood donation table where they would lay down and a nurse would prepare them for their donation. After the donation process was complete and the individual was bandaged up, they moved over to a table where myself and a group of volunteers waited for the people who donated in which we would give them a candy bar, and their choice of orange juice or water. It was a delightful experience due to the amount of people that wanted to be there for a positive change in the world, but as someone who has never really helped out at a blood drive before, it was a slightly scary experience. For example, in my hour time slot there, two people passed out and it was truly frightening. Luckily the staff at the blood drive were very attentive and aided the individuals right away, constantly checking to make sure they were okay and even helped move them to a private table with a screen so the individual would not feel embarrassed. I really enjoyed my time at the blood drive as it was truly not something I experienced before and having it go to a great cause only made it better. Regardless of the very minimal frightening events I had seen there, I would recommend the experience to anyone who enjoys helping out.