Woodstockton

Blog 11: Woodstockton: Goo Goo Dolls

Toward the end of the Spring 2014 semester, the Goo Goo Dolls came to Stockton! The Goo Goo Dolls had perfect timing; just as the workload is getting heavier in classes in preparation for finals, they gave students a way to free their minds of biology, chemistry, or whatever else is becoming more stressful than usual.

In addition to the lesser known songs, the Goo Goo Dolls performed songs that are commonly heard on the radio. The only concert I’ve been to was Maroon 5, and from the lawn seats, it was hard to even tell that it was them singing. However, at the Goo Goo Dolls concert, I was able to get much closer.

Personally, my favorite songs were “Iris” and “Slide.” Whenever I’m in the car with my mom, 106.7 is playing on the radio. For some reason, it always seemed as if “Iris” was the most popular song on the station. To see them in person (as well as video tape a few songs to show my mom), reminded me that some of the artists I hear on the radio still sound the same way in person. The ten dollars was absolutely worth it, and I was shocked to find out that the Goo Goo Dolls were the ones singing familiar songs like “Iris;” it was not expected at all!

After the concert, t-shirts and CDs were sold, not just for the Goo Goo Dolls, but for one of the groups that went on as an opening act as well as the Battle of the Bands winner. One of the opening acts included a violin, which I found surprising. However, I thought it was a great addition to the group.

SET did a great job organizing the event, and I can’t wait for next year’s Woodstockton concert! Not only did this event show me the awesome things the Stockton Entertainment Team is capable of, but it allowed me to forget about all the studying I’ve been doing, and to remind myself that having fun is also an important part of being successful at Stockton.