Humans Versus Zombies

No one wants to look over his or her shoulder in fear of what might lay ahead. Still, eyes glance backwards, periodically checking for movement and a flash of bright green. It is Humans Versus Zombies week at Stockton, and the paranoia has set in.
The objective of the game is simple, but is entirely dependent on which side the player is on. Humans simply need to survive the week, and complete a mission from the moderators each night. They are identified by wearing green bands around their upper arms and are armed to the teeth with Nerf guns and balled up socks. Such devices can “kill” a zombie for a short amount of time when used with precision. Zombies are branded by wearing green headbands and can turn a human into a zombie by tagging them. Gameplay is only legal outside of buildings, but that is enough to make travel to class or meals nerve-wracking.
Being a human may be one of life’s most horrifying experiences, but it is also one of the best. Students found themselves bonding with one another, planning safe routes and organizing survival teams. I was a part of the Funky Bunch, best human squad this side of the Mississippi. Do not be mistaken, even though humans broke into groups we all worked together. Every time a human was in need, another five would materialize to take care of the attacking zombies. At least, that was what it was like for a short while.
During the second day of gameplay, things started to go downhill. The number of zombies was growing exponentially, and we had to venture out for the night’s mission. Everything went smoothly, as the numbers were still on our side, but the return home was doomed from the offset. We took a back route after meeting up with some fellow residents, and everything seemed fine as we entered my housing wing. But there was one bit of unfinished business. Two members of our group lived in different wings, and making the trip alone would be suicide. So we all set out to get them home.
The first run was quick and clean. With only one member left to escort, we emerged from cover with weapons drawn and eyes open. A dozen or more zombies were waiting for us. It was the largest cluster we had seen yet, and they had the doorway surrounded, so we fell back inside. The battle of patience commenced, and after long minutes of waiting it seemed as if we had won. I leaned out of the doorway, looked left, then right. It seemed the coast was clear, but I never heard the footsteps that marked my death. I only felt the tag that hit the center of my chest. The last thing I remember as a human was stumbling back inside, and saying goodbye to my friends before my green band was moved from my arm to around my head.
Life is different as a zombie. They do not fear being outside, but immerse themselves in it. Frantic eyes do not search for cover, but for prey. It was not long before my companions joined me in death, each from their own demise, and we hunted as a pack once more. Some of our best times were had as the undead: setting up an ambush at the observatory, chasing stragglers into hiding, and giving the survivors dirty looks through glass windows. Overall, there was fun to be had on both sides of the fight.
A lot can be said about Stockton’s Humans Versus Zombies. It certainly is a fun experience, and one that draws all of its participants closer together. From sneaking to class on Monday morning to chasing down the stragglers on Friday evening, we did not spend a minute sitting restless. No matter what, both sides win in this game, except for the humans, who had no survivors.