Stockton Foundation Golf Outing

On September 26th, Stockton hosted a golf outing at the Seaview Golf Resort. As part of the softball team, I was asked to volunteer for the day. This involved selling raffle tickets, helping golfers on the holes, and being advocates for the college to persuade the attendees into spending more money that will eventually fund various scholarships offered by the school. As a recipient of a Stockton scholarship, I was happy to volunteer and offer my time to such a great cause.

My day started off eating lunch and selling raffle tickets and other tickets for a Chinese auction. The main purchasers of our tickets were golfers who would later play on one of Seaview’s two top of the line golf courses. After we sold tickets, we were assigned in partners a hole to sit at and assist the golfers with anything they might have needed help with. For my specific hole, the goal was to get the ball as close to the hole as possible on the first stroke. Once the golfer hit his or her ball, we would go out with a tape measure and measure out the distance. When this was determined, we wrote their name on a board for their specific gender. The golfer with the closest stroke of the day would win a prize at the end of the tournament. On one of the courses, golfers had the chance to play against a professional golfer and try to shoot closer to the hole than the pro. It was similar to the rest of the holes but with the added pressure of shooting with a professional.

Overall, it was a rather successful day for the school. Although I am not sure how much money was raised, I do know that each golfer paid a significant amount of money to play and hundreds of golfers came out. In addition to the entrance fee, each golfer also spent money on various raffle tickets and other fundraisers. It was good for me to see where the money that funds my education comes from. I never really thought about where the money comes from for schools’ scholarships but thanks to the generous people at Seaview that day, thousands of Stockton students, including myself, can afford to go school.