Blood Drive

In January I participated in one of the many blood drives the Red Cross does at Stockton each year. I have never donated blood previous to this experience. To be honest, I was always a little scared that I would have passed out or something. But being almost 200 pounds, that’s highly unlikely.
One of the smartest decisions I made was to sign up early with the Honors students who were tabling, because if not I would have had to wait a long time. But because I had a prearranged time I was moved to the front of the line. You have to answer a bunch of questions for pre-screening before you give blood. They do this as a precaution to make sure the blood is not defective in any way. Don’t worry, they test the blood before it is ever transfused.
I was happy I did something that could possibly save someone’s life. I know if I ever got in an accident I would hope there was someone who gave blood for me. I think this is a great way to give back to the community. All it costs is time!
Also, as with any blood drive, if you donate you get to refuel with some goodies such as pretzels, cookies, and drinks. Hopefully you can sit at this table and not have to lay down like many thin, brave boys and girls who have to recover for a while after giving blood. If you make the blood mass index to give blood by .1% and still give blood, I give you props!