0

Virtual reality and Geometry

Posted by nammourx on April 24, 2017 in Uncategorized |

This week I researched virtual reality in the classroom. I found lots of articles about how you could use virtual reality in a history classroom, so I originally planned to just write about that. I realized this would not be beneficial to me as a future math teacher. I wanted to learn how MY future students could use virtual reality. So I researched more and found virtual reality methods in a math classroom. I was surprised to find some really cool lessons using virtual reality to do math. But if you’re interested in the teaching history check out this really cool article that I found where a teacher uses virtual reality glasses to bring her student beyond the classroom.

Back to math and virtual reality, in this video, students use a virtual reality program to create 3-D objects using mathematics. They learn to scale these objects and create transformations of the objects. Not only are these students learning a lot of geometry and other mathematics by doing this, but they are also learning to be more very tech savvy. They learn global collaboration by using the internet to teach themselves how to use these programs. This is considered global collaboration because they could possibly be learning these lessons from people all over the world. So essentially, they learn how to teach themselves and also apply mathematics in their projects. They are currently working on a project to put solar panels on the roof of the school. Using virtual reality, they are able to create a realistic image of what the solar panels will look like. This way the school can decide how to position these solar panels, or whether or not they should actually be placed.

One last point that I would like to make is that the students in this video seem to be very gifted. To be able to teach themselves to use these programs and the vigorous math needed is impressive. We should give our students time to grow and progress using these programs. In my future classroom I can definitely see myself using similar programs to the one shown in this video, especially in a high school geometry setting. Maybe not the same program depending on the level my students are at. But if I can guide my students to learn how to use these programs, this will open so many doors for them in the world of mathematics.

Tags: , , ,