0

Exploring the Holy Lands

Posted by nammourx on April 12, 2017 in Uncategorized |

This week in my Web Tools class we were assigned to explore the National Geographic website’s Out of Eden Walk. As I was scrolling the first thing that caught my eye was the Holy Lands Journey. My mother had just visited the Holy Land to see some family, and ever since she got back all she talks about is how amazing it was and how I need to go there with her next time and visit. Below is an image of my mother last year during the Orthodox Easter holding the “Holy Light.” This is a light that appears every year during Orthodox Easter coming from Jesus’s tomb.

I’ve always wanted to go to the Middle East to explore my roots. So reading this journey to the Holy Lands was very educational for me. My 3 favorite stops during this walk include:

1. Jordan: We stopped near Ghor Al Safi and Al Quweirah. Jordan was of course one of my favorite stops because it is where both my parents were born and raised. This is one of the main reasons I picked this journey. Below is a picture of the Jordanian flag that my cousin captured in Philly. I love this picture because it includes both the Jordanian and Lebanese flags. Both of which my ancestors are from.

1. Near Jericho, West Bank: This was cool to explore because I have relatives who are from Palestine. So I decided to read into it. I learned that they share the dead sea with Jordan. No wonder why I have family from both Jordan and Palestine. They are so close they share a sea! West Bank is also very close to Amman which is the city that both my parents are from.

The Palestinian flag above is similar to the Jordanian flag. The only difference is the Jordanian flag has a star in the middle of the red triangle.

1. Jerusalem: Last but certainly not least we finally made it to the Holy Land! This is the home of “hundreds of shrines sacred to the worlds three great Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam.” Below is an image of all 3 religions: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam coexisting in Jerusalem.

As I explored the website I read about some of the stops they made on the journey. I also checked out some of the 360 images and clips. I realized while doing this how useful this website could be in a classroom. If we introduce this website to our students, they could explore and learn about where their ancestors are from. By exploring the different countries around them, they can learn about their roots. This will allow them to explore the culture and what the country is like. Exploring the Holy Land really made me mindful of the countries that are located near each other. This would incorporate geography as well as culture in the classroom. This was a wonderful tool that every educator should check out!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,