When Should We Unplug a Student in a Plugged-In World? Response

shh, I'm playing.In response to the Twitter article, When Should We Unplug a Student in a Plugged-In World?”, I agree that our generation may be addicted to technology. This article agrees that technology is a useful supplement in today’s world, and even in our educational system. I believe too much of anything is not good for you; in the article it talks about how too much use of technology appears to delay frontal brain development in growing students. It talks about ways to control students in the classroom from using their mobile devices and being disruptive in the classroom. It also talks about how parents should limit and monitor their children’s use of technology. I totally agree with this because as a student in college, I do distract myself with my phone in and outside of the classroom. For this reason, I sometimes lose track of what I am learning in class and have to look back into my notes. This also causes me to take longer to finish my work. Sometimes when I have a deadline and really need to finish up some homework I will turn my phone off and hide it in my bag. This really helps me keep track of what I’m doing and finish my work quicker. In the article, it talks about how as a teacher I should collect cell phones before class so students will not be distracted. As a student myself, I can see how this method will be helpful.

As a future math teacher it would be great to be able to take advantage of the future technological advances in math. I am sure there will be great resources for homework and test taking. But I would also want my students to do a lot of their work on pen and paper. As technology grows, it becomes easier for students to look up answers and cheat. In math, it is important to see my students steps and where they messed up while doing their work. If everything is online, I will not be able to see my students scratch work. I will also not be able to check if the student actually took the time to do their homework or just asked a friend to copy their answers. This article was very useful and had great tips that I believe will be very valuable while teaching and even parenting.