Home » Uncategorized » Exploring Computers

Exploring Computers

After looking at what hyperdocs are and how beneficial they are, I was really curious as to samples that have been done already. I learned that there are communities dedicated to hyperdocs, which is amazing. It shows how much educators really care. They share hyperdocs they have found or made, to help other educators find material.

It took some digging on the internet, but I found a hyperdocs that genuinely caught my attention and had some great content. It is a hyperdoc title, “How Computers Work.”

This hyperdocs specially is referred to as a slide deck, because it is a collection of Google Slides.

This is the 3rd slide from the hyperdoc

I like in the beginning of the slide deck, it has a question and a little activity to see what your knowledge of computers is. I would assume this is done so that you or your educator can see how much you have improved after viewing the rest of the hyperdoc.

This hyperdoc uses YouTube videos as the main form of sources. Although it is just one type, I think it is a great choice because of the exact videos the creators have chosen. The videos are all from once YouTube channel: Code.org.

This is one of the videos used in the slide deck

These videos are really refreshing. You can tell the people in the videos are passionat4 about this subject and want to make the video to educate. It is not just a screen with a voiceover. A lot of the times, it is a monotone voice as well. This holds your attention and has you listen to what they are saying.

After each video, there is an activity with it to further make sure you have understood the content. For example, after the video above, the creator wants you to make a Flip video about your definition of a computer for the class. I am a big fan of Flip and always enjoy using it in my classwork.

Another activity is to use a binary decoder website, that they link, and to write your name with it. You are also told to work with a partner and to write them a message. Your partner will then work on decoding that binary message. It is a great exercise to make sure everyone has understood the material.

At the end of the hyperdoc, it challenges you and others to code your own app. This is the activity to make sure you have comprehended everything of the lesson and apply what you have learned. The person or people who created this hyperdoc did an amazing job on this. It shows that this can be made about any subject to help students learn. Every hyperdoc is different too, the creators can get as creative as they wish.