Home » Uncategorized » A Virtual Field Trip to the San Diego Zoo

Start here

A Virtual Field Trip to the San Diego Zoo

Thanks to livestreaming technology, you no longer have to physically be at a zoo to learn more about animals. The San Diego Zoo’s website has a list of live camera feeds where you can watch various species in their enclosures.

A photo of the condor cam.
A screenshot of the condor cam.

Some feeds, such as the burrowing owl cams, have information about species conservation. The burrowing owl page even has a link to the Wildwatch project, where anyone can help classify photos that were caught by livestreams.

An interesting part of the San Diego Zoo livestreams is that for some animals that are more active at certain times of the day, the camera feed isn’t truly live. Instead, they re-broadcast that day/night’s video again. This way more people have a chance to catch a glimpse of an animal during its most active time.

These streams are a wonderful way to learn about the natural world and animal conservation efforts no matter where you are.

3 Comments

1. Awe I love the zoo and if physically bringing the students isn’t possible, a virtual class trip will still be so fun for them! Plus educational if they were to be learning about certain animals and their habitats. As I was scrolling around on Schools 360 I found the “Africam” which was super awesome, it also had live feed as you mentioned in your blog. I sat and watched it for a few minutes because these animals are not something you see everyday. So it will definitely peak the students interest for sure!

2. Hi my name is Natalie! The ability to learn about animals from anywhere has transformed how we interact with nature thanks to live streaming technologies. The live video feeds from the San Diego Zoo raise awareness while providing an intriguing look into the lives of many species. It’s amazing how the feeds adjust to the activity patterns of the animals, allowing viewers to see them at their busiest. These programs encourage people to value and preserve our natural environment in addition to educating them.

3. Hi, my name is Gracie Curci. I personally love the zoo and seeing the animals. The virtual tour makes it more accessible to people who do not live close enough to a zoo. I love your emphasis of how great it can be to learn from the natural world and the animal conservation efforts!