WE Teachers

We.org has numerous resources that are immensely helpful to teachers within their current and future classrooms. When going through the website, I went to the We Teachers Modules section which is a section dedicated to providing teachers with modules and courses across a wide range of subjects. The modules are focused on common issues and scenarios that teachers face within their classroom and are meant to equip teachers with ways of handling them while in their classroom. There is no limitation on the issues and scenarios covered within this section. For instance, some of the topics I came across while browsing through the section were: bullying, diversity and inclusion, pandemic informed module, anti-racism, and mental health. All these modules have different helpful tips and tricks for handling various situations which is instrumental in future and current classrooms.

I specifically went through the diversity and inclusion module which focuses on diverse classrooms as I believe cultural competence is a key skill needed by teachers and I am always looking to learn more on the subject. The purpose of the module is to essentially help teachers better handle and engage students from diverse backgrounds. As the country becomes more and more diverse and similar to a global community, it is essential to understand how this impacts classrooms and how to then adapt and engage students better. I found that the module helps to build a more equitable and inclusive education process and system which is the present and future of a successful education system. For this reason, I decided to first interact with the module as it is within a subject I hold near and dear to my heart.

First, the module identifies the various minority populations that often face issues with inclusion and acceptance and could be encountered within the typical classroom. Such populations include the LGBTQ+, Gender (Including those who have non-binary gender identities), racial minorities, ethnic minorities, religious minorities or groups, immigration status (including those with refugee or asylum status), and persons with disabilities. Regarding religious groups or affiliations, one aspect I learned through the module is that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits teachers and administrators from performing school-sanctioned, religious practices. I had previously been aware that students were protected from discrimination based on religious beliefs and affiliations but I was not aware that this protection extends to prohibiting teachers and administrators from performing school-sanctioned religious practices. As I was going through this I kept wondering about faith-based institutions including colleges that are available across the country and how they navigate this anti-discrimination law.

There are various nuggets of wisdom within the module regarding how to better engage with students from a diverse classroom. The ones I found particularly interesting and applicable within my future classroom include asking for and receiving feedback from students, parents, and other faculty. We often forget to ask for feedback regarding the diversity and inclusive aspects of our classroom even as we seek feedback in other areas. Receiving feedback on these aspects could help us gain different perspectives on steps to take and what is working or not. Also, another aspect I learned from the module was how to ensure students are still able to express various ideas without being prejudiced, stereotypical, or using microaggressions. Learning this is particularly instrumental as it is possible to have students express different ideas in a respectful and unbiased way without them feeling like they are walking on eggshells. Such skills would be important to impart to students to ensure they cannot only handle a diverse classroom but also a diverse workplace or social environment.

These aspects of the module stood out to me and were highly appreciated in that they shed light on a very important subject for teachers. I found the module very beneficial for teachers who are working in diverse classrooms and are looking to better engage their classrooms.