“WE Virtual Learning Center” is The Future!

This week we were asked to explore the “WE Virtual Learning Center.” After signing up with my Stockton account, I began my exploration. I discovered that this website is a treasure trove of resources for educators. There are a variety of topics dealing with global issues available. The topics range from bullying and racism to poverty and trauma coping. Throughout this blog post, I want to highlight the most valuable tools available on this site that I will use in my future classroom.

My welcome screen after I made my account.

WE Teachers Courses

WE Teachers Courses” offers a variety of professional development and training sessions to improve student connections within the classroom. I explored one of the lessons to understand how the process works. I also wanted to see if it would benefit me in the future. I clicked on “Introduction to Trauma-Informed Practice – Part 1: Overview” to explore further. It brought me to a video about understanding trauma in the classroom. Once the video was over, there was a short quiz about what I watched. I was able to learn so much from this video. Did you know that over 6 in 10 youth have been exposed to a type of violence this past year? I also learned different techniques for introducing “trauma informing” into my classroom. Sadly, I believe this is a necessary skill to know in today’s world. There are many other courses I found beneficial that I will be watching to learn more skills for my future class. Once you have completed the lesson, you will receive a certificate to show completion.

(Top Left) The educator lesson options, (Bottom) The welcome screen for the teachers courses, (Top Right) Congratulations Certificate for completing the lesson. All screenshotted by me.
(Bottom) The question during the lesson, (Top Left) what happens when you get an answer right, (Top Right) the video watched at the beginning of the lesson. All screenshotted by me.

Other “WE Teachers Courses” Topics 

• Mental Health
  • Building Resilience
  • Creating Safe Spaces 
  • Elevating Student Voice 

WE Well-Being

WE Well-Being” is a section with lessons for students and educators in self-care, love for the community, and the world. I explored the kindergarten through the third-grade option to see if any lesson plans were valuable. In this section, different chapters contained different lesson plans. I investigated “Mindfulness.” It brought me to a PDF of lessons on introducing mindfulness into the classroom. I believe that this is a beneficial tool for any classroom environment. Students can benefit from the ideas these lessons teach them about mental health. It is challenging to be a young student. Activities like these may help students learn how to manage their stress and live healthy lives.  

Screenshots were taken by me of the “Well-being” portion of the “WE Virtual Learning Center”

Say It Now

Say It Now” is a group of resources that help set students on a journey of gratitude. “Say It Now” offers a step-by-step workshop to help students understand gratitude. The process involves writing a carefully thought-out letter to someone they are grateful for. I will be using this activity in my classroom in the future. I can use this as an exercise in a writing lesson with a purpose. 

Other Benefits of “Say It Now“:

• Students will gain letter-writing skills. 
  • Students will practice their planning skills by spending time planning their letters. 
  • They will learn about each other in the classroom. 
  • It can spark discussion between students and promote collaboration. 
Screenshots from my exploration through “Say it Now.”

These benefits are only the tip of the iceberg. “WE Virtual Learning Center” is a beneficial tool for global classrooms. There are many resources available for students and teachers. Teachers can help students learn how to care for themselves, use their voices to stand up for social injustice and learn to live happy lives.