Virtual Tours, Real Life Connections

Screenshot of the Smithsonian National Zoo virtual tour page.

Today I woke up, made myself breakfast, and visited the Smithsonian National Zoo and Conservation Biology Insitute, all without leaving my couch. What a morning! The National Zoo has six live cams that feature an inside look at their animals and the link to their website can be accessed here. As I started my day, I was curious to see what daily routines these animals also had.

Animal Insights

The Andean Bear Cub and Cheetah Cub cam were my first clicks. These animals seemed to be more active during the day, as none of them were in their den to be shown in the live cam feed. I wondered what they were doing and why they do not feature outdoor live feeds. It could be because they are carnivores and to avoid that scene, it is possible that the zoo deliberately chose their den areas for cam feeds instead. 

However, the Giant Panda cam showed me what one panda loves to do during the day, sunbathe and nap! We would get along very well. I captured a screenshot of one panda finding ultimate rest and relaxation.

Moving on with my tour, I then watched the Naked Mole Rat cam. I was very hesitant to view this feed for many reasons. Ultimately, I did not think these animals were worth watching nor appealing to look at upon first thought based on the reputation I held that was attached to their name. But I found my attitude completely changed towards this animal after a few minutes of observation.

I watched a naked mole rate munch on his meal of corn and lettuce and peer out to the zoo visitors from his viewing box. The second cam I watched was positioned in the outside view of a transportation connection tube. I watched the little guy almost dance back and forth in the tube for a very long time. It was as entertaining as watching tv. After viewing these cam feeds for some time, I came to see naked mole rats behaving very similarly to traditional hamsters. Moreover, the close-up scenes gave me a more intimate look at how this animal behaves and what they look like. I have never seen an actual naked mole rat in action, so this was very new and cool to me! And they were not nearly as unapproachable as I originally thought.

Final Thoughts

After my experiencing my first virtual field trip, I am filled with inspiration and ideas on how I can implement this activity in my future social studies classroom. Not only does this activity add variety to a student’s routine, it also allows for greater learning outcomes, curiosity, and classroom conversations. Likewise, virtual field trips allow students an opportunity to form real connections to what they are learning to real-life situations and material. In the future, I foresee my fifth-grade students learning about the forms of government and taking a virtual field trip to the U.S. Supreme Court, or the virtual Chichen Itza tour when we cover ancient civilizations. The possibilities to achieve more meaningful and relatable content that is taught in the school curriculum are vast and bright thanks to exploring the world of virtual tours.

5 responses to “Virtual Tours, Real Life Connections”

1. Hey! Awesome blog post. I love the introduction to this post. This website is super cool. It’s great how we can go anywhere in the world and see anything just from our homes. My recent blog, I explored Easter Island! I’m glad you found this website inspiring and you are definitely right-the possibilities are endless.

2. Hi! It’s fantastic that Smithsonian National Zoo has many cameras around its enclosures. I have been worried about zoo animals since I was a little kid! I felt so bad that they were in cages all day, but having these cameras that allow me to visit them daily puts me at ease! I think watching these cameras gives the audience opportunities that some might miss when they physically visit. Most people quickly walk through the Zoo and leave after viewing the animal for a few minutes and miss a feeding, playmate time, or even funny things that the animals might do, but when we watch from the camera, we can see all that without having to leave our homes! I think it’s fantastic; I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Zoo as much as I did!

3. Hi, I though it was super interesting that you can be able to watch animals just being animals from anywhere in the world.I can see how people who are interested in studying animals would be interested in this!

4. Hey, I am Lia. I also took my virtual field trip to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute. I found it very interesting and informative. Your blog post was very well written and I enjoyed the graphics a lot! When I visited the Cheetah Cub camera page they were also out of their den. Maybe viewers have to get lucky when trying to view the Cheetahs. Did you get a different view of the Cheetahs when you looked at a later time? I viewed the Giant Panda at night time and the panda was sound asleep as well. Pandas sure love to sleep! I did not look at the Naked Mole-rat camera, however, thank you for sharing a screenshot of them, it showed me I have more to look forward to using this site in the future. Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog post!

5. Hi,
    Awesome post! The introduction was very attention grabbing which is so important while writing a blog. I love how you described what each animal does and provided screenshots as well. Im excited to check out this website!
    -Nicole